August 14, 2012
We have things figured out pretty well here. As far as the schedule
goes, anyway. We are always adjusting to the Spirit and how to stay
humble enough to receive revelation for our "investigators" and how to
stay focused and not think about movies or songs or youtube videos or
basically anything worldly that we had in our "previous lives." But
we ARE used to the schedule. And the food. We are about as close as it
gets to getting used to the food at the MTC.
We're already partway through our sixth week!!! There
are technically ten weeks, but week ten is only two days. We leave for
the field in four weeks!!! I am so excited!!! I feel like I've gotten
used to the transitional phase of the MTC, and I want to move on!!! But
there are still tons of things I still need to learn, especially about
the later lessons. And my Spanish could definitely use all of the
practice it can get!!! Estoy mejorando mi espanol dia por dia. Es
chistoso, porque sabemos muchas palabras en espanol sobre el Evangelio y
la Iglesia, pero no estamos aprendiendo muchas otras. Es como una
hermana quien esta vando a los Philippines dijo: "I know everything
about the gospel, but nothing else in Tagalag! 'No sir, I don't know
what kind of food I want but I can tell you about Joseph Smith and the
Restoration!' "
This week Elderr Jensen and I had a really good experience
with our first investigator, Mari. Lately Elder Jensen and I have really
been trying to work on teaching unitedly. Usually I do all of the
talking because he is afraid of saying something wrong and when he does
talk it takes him a long time to construct a sentence. We've been doing
better, but we want to do best because that is what the Lord expects.
Anyways, this "investigator" is having some major problems. She is happy
with her religion in the Baptist church, and her family doesn't want
her to meet with us anymore. Her husband Marcos took her Book of Mormon
because he doesn't want her to read it and he also told her to stop
meeting with us. We were talking about this, and we asked her why she
still wanted to meet with us if she is happy in the Baptist church and
she is having problems with her family. She said that the stuff we teach
makes sense, and that she really wants to learn more because she might
think it is true. At this point, I made Elder Jensen speak up because he
hadn't said anything for a long time. It turns out that what he said
was perfect. He said that the things she is feeling are the testifying
of the Spirit and that to know what she should do is to ask God. It was
the perfect thing to say!!!!! She said that all of the other times we
had answered her questions with our own thoughts, and they were good
thoughts, but they weren't always the same as hers. For the first time
she really felt like she could take her problem before God and that he
might give her an answer. The best part is that Elder Jensen didn't even
know what she said after he talked! Afterwards he asked me if she was
mad at us because he thought she said that we had never helped her with
her questions. It was a great lesson!!!!!!
God Bless Texas! I am Elder Black. Thus I end mine epistle.
No comments:
Post a Comment