Well, the biggest thing I've learned this week was about listening and asking questions. There was a less active member we visited who I had met once before. As soon as we went in I asked if I could use the restroom and when I came back she was talking about a job she had just quit a couple of months before. I'm not sure in any of you have heard of "Texas talkers," but a lot of people here could talk the leg off of a table! One of my weaknesses is that once people start going off I start getting kind of anxious. I shift in my seat and start thinking of ways I could tactfully take control. The worst thing about that is that I don't pay attention to what they are saying! Well, this time with this lady I didn't know what had been said while I was in the bathroom so I just decided to listen to what she was saying. It was way easier than getting anxious, and the best part is that once she saw that we were listening to her, she started sharing her feelings! I think that once we showed her that it was important to us to understand the things she was communicating she opened up more! We started asking her questions and we soon found out many of the reasons she hasn't been coming to church. She didn't come on Sunday but I believe it won't be long before the ward is built up by the abilities she has to share!
Afterwards the member that came with us to visit her told us about his own conversion. His wife was a member and he went through many sets of missionaries as he was learning about the Gospel. He said that the Elder that ended up helping him the most was the first Elder that sincerely listened and made him feel like the brother's family and his feelings were important to him! I think that that is real charity.
No comments:
Post a Comment