September 17, 2012
Yeah, so basically Texas is the Bomb.com.
All right, this is going to be a lot of
information probably not very organized, but I'm just going to write it
as it comes to me.
My companion is named Elder Galvez. He's been on his
mission 9 months and he is a native Spanish speaker!! He's from Peru,
but his family has been living in Orem for 3 years! So I'm really
blessed to have him as my companion so I can improve my Spanish a ton!!!
Texas has been pretty mellow as far as weather goes. It
was a lot cooler on Tuesday and Wednesday, and the rest of the
week/weekend it was raining!!
Okay, changed my
mind. I just erased a bunch of stuff that was super random and all over
the place. I'm going to start at the very beginning: (a very good place to
start).
Tuesday. On the flight to Texas I sat next to this guy
that was going to Florida where his winter home is. He has known a lot
of Mormons before and has read parts of the Book of Mormon before. He
believes that everyone in the world should just get along, but he
doesn't consider himself as part of a religion. It was really
interesting talking to him. He has really thought about what he
believes. Hermana Sanchez (the Hermana in our district in the MTC) and I
told him a little bit about missionaries and about the LDS church. We
also gave him one of those littlle pass-along cards to go to mormon.org
to learn more. I don't know if anything really came of it, but he had a
bad experience before with missionaries that were too much like
salesmen. If nothing else, this gave him a better experience with the
missionaries, and maybe provoked a few questions.
We had lunch at the Mission Home and met President and
Sister Sagers. They are really nice and super spiritual. I was a little
worried that what they were going to tell us differed a little bit from
what I learned in the MTC about how to go about doing missionary work,
but they fell right in line. We had training with the Assistants to the
President and President and his wife all day long.
There were nineteen of us that came in from the MTC, so
we couldn't all stay at the mission home. That night we slept with most
of us in the Assistants' apartment, some at the Senior Couples' houses.
Wednesday. We got to meet our new companions this
day!!! It was super exciting!!! As I already said, I am serving with
Elder Galvez, and we are serving in the Lewisville Spanish Branch. It's
kind of weird because our mission borders on the Dallas Mission, so we
have to be careful not to cross the mission boundaries, but we get to
cross the border to go to church because half of the Spanish branch is
in the Dallas Mission.
We knocked some doors and I got to have my first
opportunity to contact on Wednesday. I got to participate in my
first-ever lesson with Florencia, a recent convert.
I don't have much time, so I'm going to go through the highlights of the rest of the week:
1.
Thursday: a lesson with four investigators: Jeoval, Priscilla, Alex and
Luis. It was really good, Priscilla seems really interested in what
we're teaching. I practiced listening to Spanish a lot today. (I really
have to focus to understand.)
2. Friday: we went on exchange. I got to ride bikes
because I was in the smaller English area with Elder Bingham. I felt the
spirit working through me today. Preach My Gospel says that is one of
the signs of success!!!
3. Saturday: We taught a lot of lessons. There was also a ward activity that a lot of people went to!!
4.
Sunday: We taught Juan Trujillo, who knows what he has to do to receive
an answer about whether or not the church is true, but he has to do
those things!!! (go to church, read and pray daily) It was a really good
lesson, and we had three members there!!! Church was really good and
everyone kept complimenting me on my Spanish!!!
God Bless Texas! I am Elder Black. Thus I end mine epistle.
(We have Elder Black's new address! If you want to write to him, send me an email at gerbdonna@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.)
No comments:
Post a Comment